CURRIED TOFU CRUMBLE IN ARABIC BREAD
This recipe is not Palestinian, but it makes use of the most wonderful bread ever, arabic bread, which is the staple food of Palestine. This is a fusion recipe of middle eastern flavors, with Indian curry and Asian tofu.
- 1 (12-15ounce)carton firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped gingerroot
- 1 jalapeno chile orserano serano chile , seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds , crushed
- 2 onions , finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes , seeded and sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon masala
- Crumble tofu onto a cloth towel, then gather the ends and twist firmly to get rid of any excess moisture. The tofu needs to be fairly dry. Turn crumbled tofu into a bowl and toss with half of the turmeric, the lime juice, and a few pinches of salt (to taste). Set aside.
- Heat oil in saute pan and add ginger, chile, and garlic. Saute over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or less, if the garlic begins to color. Add cumin, onions, remaining turmeric, and cayenne and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft (about 5 min.).
- Add tomatoes and raise the heat, stirring and cooking until the juices have just disappeared, then lower heat and add tofu. Season dish with 1/2 tsp salt and more to taste, and cook until tofu is heated through, 3-5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, sprinkle with the masala, and turn into serving dish or pitas. Serve hot or at room temperature.