1 to 2 large yellow onion, sliced
1 cup brown lentils
½ cup long grain rice
½ tsp cumin powder
(1) Rinse lentils and pick out any stones. Place lentils in a bowl. Boil enough water to just cover the lentils. Let sit until all of the water is absorbed (approx. 10 minutes)
(2) In a saucepan, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add sliced onions. Once they begin to turn translucent, reduce the heat. Cook low and slow for about 15-20 minutes.
(3) In a pot, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add rice and lentils. Add cumin powder and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
(4) Add 1 ½ cups of water (just enough to cover the rice and lentils. Bring to a rapid simmer, then reduce heat to low.
(5) Check after 20 minutes. Most of the water should have evaporated. If the rice or lentils are still crunchy, then add ¼ cup of water, and cook a little longer. (You can repeat this step as many times as you need until the rice/lentil mixture is cooked).
(6) Place the rice/lentil mixture in your serving dish, and top with the fried onions. You can add another dash of salt, if you like.
(7) You can serve the dish warm, room temperature, or even cold. Enjoy!